19 July 2010

Bahá'u'lláh and the Bahá'ís

It seems to me that members of the Bahá’í Faith may find it useful to find other ways of describing themselves than just as “Bahá’ís.”

After all, we could just say we’re human beings dedicated to following the teachings of Bahá’u’lláh. Or if somebody asks us our religion, we could say something like “I strive with others to put into practice teachings I believe God has revealed for us through Baha’u’llah.” The word Bahá’í is, of course, much shorter and easier to say. But in a great number of situations, I think it’s too short.

I think speaking in a more descriptive manner would express more of what the word Bahá’í is supposed to mean.
After all, being a Bahá’í above all else is believing in Bahá’u’lláh and putting into practice what he teaches. Plus, it would take the mystery out of what to call all those people who love Bahá’u’lláh, strive to practice certain teachings of his they have come across, but who don’t consider themselves members of the Bahá’í community. This doesn’t mean I’m suggesting people cease referring to themselves as Bahá’ís. It just means that in a number of situations, many of us might find it more useful to talk about Bahá’í identity in different ways.

What are your thoughts?


BTW, not that this is important, but it seems worth mentioning that this discussion builds on ideas I shared a while back in a post entitled The Power and Limitations of Jargon.

1 comment:

  1. hmm, I think that perhaps both answers, the long and the short, could be given at the same time.

    ReplyDelete